Dr CHAN Kwok Wah | firstname.lastname@example.org
MBBS (HK); FRCPPath; FHKCPath; FHKAM (Pathology)
Prostatic cancer, cancer stem cell and renal pathology
- Prostatic cancer, cancer stem cell and renal pathology.
- Molecular genetics of prostatic cancer currently a study of Twist and Id family of genes in collaboration with Department of Anatomy.
- Study of cancer stem cell biology in collaboration with Department of Clinical Oncology.
- The effects of new immunosuppressants on kidney functions and treatment of lupus nephritis using an animal model of lupus nephriits, in collaboration with Department of Medicine.
- Molecular genetics of esophageal cancer in collaboration with Department of Surgery.
Major Research Grants
- The role of interleukin-8 (IL-8) and efficacy of IL-8 targeted therapy in CD133+ cancer stem cells-driven hepatocellular carcinoma. RGC General Research Fund (2011)
- An Identification, Characterization and Therapeutic Targeting of Tumourigenic Liver Cancer Stem Cells. Michael and Betty Kadoorie Cancer Genetics Research Programme (2007)
- Growth and functions of human kidney tubular cells and transgenic mouse kidneys affected by mutated adult polycystic kidney disease gene, PKDl. RGC General Research Fund (1998)
Selected publications (* corresponding author)
Hui MK, Lai KK, Chan KW, Luk JM, Lee NP, Chung Y, Cheung LC, Srivastava G, Tsao SW, Tang JC, Law S. Clinical correlation of nuclear survivin in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Med Oncol. 2012 Apr 19. [Epub ahead of print]
Yuen HF, McCrudden CM, Grills C, Zhang SD, Huang YH, Chan KK, Chan YP, Wong ML, Law S, Srivastava G, Fennell DA, Dickson G, El-Tanani M, Chan KW*. Combinatorial use of bone morphogenetic protein 6, noggin and SOST significantly predicts cancer progression. Cancer Sci. 2012 Feb 26. doi: 10.1111/j.1349-7006.2012.02252.x. [Epub ahead of print]
Tang KH, Ma S, Lee TK, Chan YP, Kwan PS, Tong CM, Ng IO, Man K, To KF, Lai PB, Lo CM, Guan XY, Chan KW*. CD133+ liver tumor-initiating cells promote tumor angiogenesis, growth and self-renewal through neurotensin / IL-8 / CXCL1 signaling. Hepatology. 2012 Mar;55(3):807-20. doi: 10.1002/hep.24739. Epub 2012 Jan 13.
Hui MK, Lai KK, Chan KW, Luk JM, Lee NP, Chung Y, Cheung LC, Srivastava G, Tsao SW, Tang JC, Law S. Prognostic significance of phosphorylated RON in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Med Oncol. 2011 Nov 16. [Epub ahead of print]
Yuen HF, McCrudden CM, Chan KK, Chan YP, Wong ML, Chan KY, Khoo US, Law S, Srivastava G, Lappin TR, Chan KW*, El-Tanani M. The role of Pea3 group transcription factors in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Am J Pathol. 2011; 179: 992-1003.
Ma S, Chan YP, Kwan PS, Lee TK, Yan M, Tang KH, Ling MT, Vielkind JR, Guan XY, Chan KW. MicroRNA-616 induces androgen-independent growth of prostate cancer cells by suppressing expression of tissue factor pathway inhibitor TFPI-2. Cancer Res. 2011 Jan 15;71(2):583-92. Epub 2011 Jan 11.
Ma S, Chan KW, Lee TK, Tang KH, Wo JY, Zheng BJ, Guan XY. Aldehyde dehydrogenase discriminates the CD133 liver cancer stem cell populations. Mol Cancer Res. 2008; 6(7):1146-53.
Ma S, Lee TK, Zheng BJ, Chan KW, Guan XY. CD133+ HCC cancer stem cells confer chemoresistance by preferential expression of the Akt/PKB survival pathway. Oncogene. 2008; 27(12):1749-58.
Yuen HF, Chan YP, Law S, Srivastava G, El-Tanani M, Mak TW, Chan KW*. DJ-1 could predict worse prognosis in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2008; 17(12):3593-602.