Professor KHOO Ui Soon | firstname.lastname@example.org
MBBCh BAO Irel; MD HK; MMedSc (Path) Irel; FRCPath UK; FHKCPath; MIAC;
Genetics of breast cancer and infection
My research interest focuses on the genetics of breast cancer and host genetic-factors to infectious disease.
- Breast cancer susceptibility genes – BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations in Chinese; epigenetics
- Functional variants of the BRCA and Estrogen Receptor genes and genetic association studies for breast cancer in the Chinese population
- Alternatively spliced variants in Chinese breast cancer
- FOXO transcription factors in hormone refractory breast cancer
- Tumor stem cells in breast cancer
Host susceptibility to infectious disease
- Tandem neck-repeats of L-SIGN (CD209L, for liver/lymph node-specific ICAM3 grabbing non-integrin) receptor in susceptibility to SARS Co-V infection – genetic association, functional and tissue localization studies
- Other genetic association studies for SARS Co-V infection including functional variants of DC-SIGN, ICAM3 and related immune response genes.
Major Research Grants
RGC - Competitive Earmarked Research Grants
- Gene-based and haplotype analysis of the estrogen receptor genes for breast cancer susceptibility.
- The role of L-SIGN (CD290L) in SARS coronavirus infection
- Splicing variant profiling in relation to Estrogen Receptor gene expression in Chinese breast cancer
CGDN- Canadian Genetic Diseases Network Grant
- Infectious Diseases and Global Health: Genetic Approach to the Identification of Host Susceptibility Factors and Pathogen Virulence Determinants.
RFCID – Research Fund of the Control of Infectious Diseases
- Role of polymorphisms of the inflammatory response genes and DC-SIGNR in genetic susceptibility to SARS and other infections.
- The functional role of ICAM3 polymorphism in genetic susceptibility to SARS infection.
- Promoter polymorphisms of DC-SIGN in relation to host genetic susceptibility to SARS infection.
- MBBS Year II - Program Director
- MBBS Urogenital System Block - System Coordinator
- Special Study Modules – Convenor for service projects to India and China
Awards and Honors
Faculty Teaching Medal, The University of Hong Kong (2007)
A novel subset of putative lung stem/progenitor CD34+Oct-4+ cells is the major target for SARS coronavirus in human lung. Chen YX, Chan VSF, Zheng BJ, Chan KY, To YF, Khoo US, Lin CL. J Exp Med 2007, 204(11):2529-2236.
Chan VSF, Chan KYK, Chen YX, Poon LL, Cheung ANY, Zheng BJ, Chan KH, Mak W, Ngan HYS, Xu XN, Screaton G, Tam PKH, Austyn JM, Chan LC, Yip SP, Peiris JSM, Khoo US* & Lin CL*. Homozygous L-SIGN (CD209L) plays a protective role in SARS coronavirus infection. Nature Genetics 2006, 38(1):38-46. (* corresponding authors)
Chan KY, Ching JC, Xu MS, Cheung AN, Yip SP, Yam LY, Lai ST, Chu CM, Wong AT, Song YQ, Huang FP, Liu W, Chung PH, Leung GM, Chow EY, Chan EY, Chan JC, Ngan HY, Tam P, Chan LC, Sham P, Chan VS, Peiris M, Lin SC, Khoo US. Association of ICAM3 Genetic Variant with Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome. J Infect Dis 2007, 196(2):271-280.
Cheung LWT, Lee YF, Ng TW, Ching WK, Khoo US, Ng MKP, Wong AST. CpG/CpNpG motifs in the coding region are preferred sites for mutagenesis in the breast cancer susceptibility genes. FEBS Lett 2007, 581(24):4668-4674.
Kwong A, Wong LP, Chan KY, Ma ESK, Khoo US, Ford JM. Characterization of the pathogenic mechanism of a novel BRCA2 variant in a Chinese family. Fam Cancer 2007 Jul 27. [Epub ahead of print]
Chan KYK, Cheung ANY, Yip SP, Ko HH, Lai TW, Khoo US. Re: Population-based, Case-Control Study of HER2 Genetic Polymorphism and Breast Cancer Risk. J Natl Cancer Inst 2002, 94(20): 1581-1582.
Chan KYK, Ozcelik H, Cheung ANY, Ngan HYS, Khoo US. Epigenetic factors controlling the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes in sporadic ovarian cancer. Cancer Res 2002, 62(14):4151-4156.
Khoo US, Chan KYK, Cheung ANY, Xue WC, Shen DH, Ngan HYS, Pang CP, Choy RKW, Poon AYA, Fung KY, Ozcelik H. Recurrent BRCA1 and BRCA2 germline mutations in ovarian cancer: a Founder mutation of BRCA1 identified in the Chinese population. Human Mutation 2002, 19 (3): 307-308.
Khoo US, Ngan HYS, Cheung ANY, Chan KYK, Lu J, Chan VWY, Lau S, Andrulis IL, Ozcelik H. Mutational analysis of BRCA1 and BRCA2 gene in Chinese ovarian cancer identifies 6 novel germline mutations. Human Mutation 2000, 16:88-89.
Khoo US, H.Ozcelik, Cheung ANY, Chow LWC, Ngan HYS, Done SJ, Liang ACT, Chan VWY, Au GKH, Ng WF, Poon CSP, Leung YF, Loong F, Ip P, Chan GSW, Andrulis IL, Lu J, Ho FCS. Somatic mutations in the BRCA-1 gene in Chinese sporadic breast and ovarian cancer. Oncogene 1999, 18:4643-4646.